Bringing "Life" back to "Art"...

11:04 PM / Posted by Ashley /

I'm using this subject literally and figuratively.


I have been thinking about ways to bring this blog back to "The Artists Life" a.k.a. surviving and thriving as an "artist" in NYC. I have gone off track by adding articles, etc. Since the tags on the side of this blog are getting a little difficult to organize, so I'm going to be going through and cleaning it up, along with doing more personal updates. I'm bringing up the subject of adding more personal narratives on my blog because according to google analytics, a lot of people are looking for tips on "surviving as an artist in NYC" and apparently I get hits for that. Don't know if I can be helpful, but I'll try to post things here and there on the subject.


Here's the BIG Update:

When I came back from being abroad in March, I realized how out of touch with everything I had become. I was so utterly consumed with trying to pay the rent, produce a bunch of shows, direct, audition, submit for projects, eat, do laundry, etc. that I lose site of being an artist. I was hardly at my best (or even close) for any of it. I knew that I needed to make some big changes so

So, as of 2 weeks ago, I am living in northern NJ (about 1/2 away from NYC). It was the most brilliant move that I've made in a long time. I'm enjoying the woods and deer, and mostly, spending time with my dad (who is a fascinating person... I will talk more about him later). I'm having the chance to get in touch with nature and have been taking walks in the woods every morning. I'm also SAVING LOTS OF money! I will probably be back in an apartment this summer, but to be honest, I don't miss living in Manhattan, especially since I'm here every single day for work and/or rehearsals. I would have no problem having an apartment in the woods and being a part time recluse/NYer.

I'm 1 monologue away from finishing a play that I've been working on for the past 3 years. We're set to debut it in November and I want to workshop it in June (so there was a bit of a deadline). I know that it's finally ready though! Very excited. Also, on the writing topic, I have been making progress on my solo-performance piece "What to Do In Case You Miss The Rapture". I credit the progress that's been made on both these projects to the fact that I have a clear head to actually focus.

Other Updates:


I'm now officially a member of the steering committee for THAW (Theatres Against War). It's a fantastic organization that has done some exciting work over the years. Check out the website at http://www.thawaction.org/ .

COTE got some great publicity from our last production of "My Name is Rachel Corrie". We even made it to Wikipedia (I'm ridiculously excited about this... because I wiki EVERYTHING). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Name_Is_Rachel_Corrie . We're having one more performance this weekend at Pace University (May 1st) at 8:00pm.

Made it to the interview round for the 2009-2010 McCarter Theater Directing Internship in Princeton, NJ. I should find out in a few weeks whether or not I got in. If I do, I will move to Princeton for 10 months and assistant direct under Emily Mann (and various other guest directors that come through the McCarter). I will also get to direct a one act at the end of the year as part of their Youth Ink! Festival. I'm so thrilled that I had the opportunity to meet Emily Mann (an artist that I've always admired) and speak with her and others at the McCarter Theater about my work. Regardless out the outcome, I feel good about the interview and I'm thrilled for that opportunity.

Some other STUFF:

Recent articles about COTE:


http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/2009/04/09/interview-with-the-co-op-theatre-east-production-of-my-name-is-rachel-corrie/


http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/category/my-name-is-rachel-corrie/

Labels:

3 comments:

Comment by Kerrie on April 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Excited to see Rachel Corrie (and run sound for it) this week! :)

Comment by Wondering K on April 28, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I wish I could come and see the show! Drat being on the west coast anyway. I'm always so impressed with your dedication and how much you've accomplished. :) Enjoy a walk in the woods! I live on the edge of Seattle so I get that best of both worlds too. Take care dear!

Keva

Comment by tao4mind on May 2, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Your father/master of the spirits of those woods; enjoy your walks, because you make your own reality in this world. Impressed with the Theatres Against War.
E' elo heh' ha El'.

Post a Comment