GRE Word(s) of the week: SOLECISM, MISSIVE, SEDITION, MILITATE

11:33 AM / Posted by Ashley /

A little late this week due to some beginning of the week template drama (still working out the kinks). Here we go with Kaplan's GRE words of the week... BTW- I have to add a few each week if I'll ever make it through the box.





SOLECISM
(sah lih sishz uhm) - noun
grammatical mistake; blunder in speech
Synonyms: blooper; faux pas; vulgarism



- During the beauty pageant, Miss South Carolina responded to her final question with, "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, um, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future," she was content with her answer and clearly unaware of her solecism.




MISSIVE
(mihs ihv) - noun
Synonym: message

- Some people I know receive missives and autographed pictures in the mail from Rachel Maddow... I, on the other hand, receive bills from Sallie Mae.




vs.


(Thank you Keva, for scanning this for me!)


And, finally...

SEDITION

(sih dih shuhn) - noun

Behavior that promotes rebellion or civil disorder against the state.

Synonyms: conspiracy; insurrection

- One of my favorite pieces of American anti-sedition propaganda was called "Deh Fuehrer's Face", made by Walt Disney in 1943.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZiRiIpZVF4

(This video is fascinating in so many ways...)



I still don't know why "sedition" is double spaced for no reason...

Labels: ,

1 comments:

Comment by Wondering K on January 18, 2009 at 6:43 PM

*dies laughing* oh that's awesome! :) And I'm glad you got a kick out of seeing my picture. Rachel is now in a frame on my desk! Happy sigh!

Post a Comment